Association for Historical Dialogue and Research (AHDR) – Cyprus
Όμιλος Ιστορικού Διαλόγου και Έρευνας / Tarihsel Diyalog ve Araştırma Derneği
Who we are?
The Association for Historical Dialogue and Research is an inter-communal, non- profit and non-governmental organization established in 2003 in Nicosia, Cyprus. The AHDR envisions to contribute to the advancement of dialogue, critical thinking and intercultural understanding amongst teachers, students, and the general public by providing access to various learning opportunities for all. More specifically, the AHDR promotes the study and research of the History of Cyprus in a critical and comprehensive way; develops supplementary educational material for educators and students in relation to History and Peace/ Anti-racist Education to be shared and used in and beyond classrooms; increases public awareness on the importance of dialogue and multiperspectivity; promotes a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence through education at a local, national and international level. In 2011 the AHDR opened the Home for Cooperation (H4C), a unique educational, cultural and community center in the heart of Nicosia, in the UN Buffer Zone.
Vision: The AHDR envisions a society where values under the umbrella of a culture of peace and dialogue on issues of history are welcomed as an integral part of democracy and are considered as ways to advance historical understanding, critical thinking, multiperspectivity and respect for diversity and human rights.
Mission: The AHDR’s mission is to contribute to the advancement of historical understanding, critical thinking, multiperspectivity and to promote respect for diversity and human rights and to cultivate a culture of peace and non-violence through history education and peace education by providing educational opportunities for the communities in Cyprus.
What we do?
• To collect, archive and share resources and materials on history education and peace education.
• To create opportunities for educators, youth, and children in the fields of history education and peace education.
• To ensure individuals’ access and provide them with equal learning opportunities irrespective of their ability, ethnic and cultural background.
• To contribute to existing literature and resources by designing supplementary educational material based on the needs of youth and educators in Cyprus.
• To nurture critical understanding and increase public awareness on the importance of dialogue and multiperspectivity on issues of history.
• To enhance understanding, respect, and cooperation among all communities in Cyprus and promote a culture of peace through education, at local, national and international levels.
• To promote the study and research the history of Cyprus critically.
• To follow global trends and good practices in education and innovatively adapt them to the local context.