Association for Historical Dialogue and Research (Cyprus)
Όμιλος Ιστορικού Διαλόγου και Έρευνας
Since its foundation in 2003, the AHDR has enlisted members from various ethnic, linguistic, and professional backgrounds working at various educational levels in Cyprus, making the first steps towards a greater effort: an effort to maintain a continuous, open dialogue about enhanced pedagogic practices that could encourage the values of the discipline of history.
The AHDR envisions a society where dialogue on issues of history, historiography, history teaching and history learning is welcomed as an integral part of democracy and is considered as a means for the advancement of historical understanding and critical thinking.
Mission: The AHDR contributes to the advancement of historical understanding amongst the public and more specifically amongst children, youth and educators by providing access to learning opportunities for individuals of every ability and every ethnic, religious, cultural and social background, based on the respect for diversity and the dialogue of ideas.
Values: The AHDR recognizes the values of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the European Convention on Human Rights the UNESCO aims on education and the Council of Europe’s recommendations relevant to history teaching.
- To create opportunities for educators, youth and children to be benefited by the latest developments in history teaching and learning.
- To advance knowledge on the issues of history, historiography, history teaching and history learning.
- To collect and share resources on history and history teaching.
- To nurture a critical understanding of the linkages between perceptions of history, attitudes and behaviors towards the “other” and history education.
- To gather and make available archival materials on certain aspects of Cyprus history.
- To develop educational materials for educators and students.
- To increase public awareness on the importance of dialogue and multiperspectivity on the issues of history, historiography, history teaching and learning.
ProjectsNot currently involved in any EUROCLIO projects.
November 10, 2015 How to Introduce a Gender Perspective in History Teaching
October 6, 2015 Council of Europe Teacher Training Workshop in Cyprus