First Planning Meeting Anna Lindh Foundation – Learning about (Y)our past in Nicosia, Cyprus
November 18, 2016 - November 21, 2016
The project “Learning about (y)our past. History lessons for intercultural citizenship in the EuroMed region” aims to help young people in the Euro-Mediterranean region to acquire competences for intercultural citizenship by learning about identity and diversity, about positive intercultural encounters and addressing emotive and controversial issues in history education. The project will achieve this through collaborative design, piloting, peer-review, editing, design and publication of six learning activities that can be used as alternative educational resources. The development of these resources will be done by an international team with various cultural and professional backgrounds. This team will meet three times throughout the project, to work on the initial planning, peer-review and final editing of the resources. In between meetings the project team will work on the collecting of source material and piloting of the resources in practice. The project meetings will take place in Cyprus and Lebanon. The learning activities will be translated and published in Arab, English, Greek and Turkish and made freely available for use on the website of EuroClio and licensed in such a way that reuse is possible. To ensure that the main relevant stakeholders are informed about the learning activities and encourage its widespread use the project team will develop and implement a communication plan targeting the professional community of history educators in the EuroMed.
In November 18-21, the group will meet in Nicosia, Cyprus with the aims of;
- Providing the project team with better understanding of project aims, logic and outputs.
- Introducing the project team to guidebook for history textbooks authors ”On a Common Path. New Approaches to Writing History Textbooks in Europe and the Arab and Islamic Worlds: The Case of the Mediterranean” and discuss possible thematic connections to the project.
- Providing a guidance on how to collect and work with sources in developing transnational educational resources.
- Sharing initial ideas on the content, topics of the educational resources.
- Agreeing on division of content amongst team members and common framework for the lessons and technical standards.
- Agreeing on the timeline of the actions to come after the planning meeting and choose a date for the next development meeting.