HisLit – Historical literacy practices in Finnish general upper secondary schools is organizing conference “Making sense of history” at the University of Jyvaskyla (Finland) in June 4-5, 2020.
Making sense of history seeks to strengthen research on history pedagogy by furthering cooperation between history education practice and research. Scholars and practitioners interested in the pedagogy of history in both schools and universities are invited to submit proposals that address the learning, teaching and researching of history in schools, universities, and, more generally, society. We encourage submissions from teachers who specialize in history or social science education, as well as from graduate students and scholars.
We invite proposals for presentations, panels and workshops on a variety of relevant topics, including (but not limited to) the following questions:
- How do we teach historical thinking and skills-based history to students?
- How can educators support the teaching and learning of skills-based history and historical thinking?
- How to teach multiliteracies in history?
- What kinds of skills are needed in learning history and developing historical thinking?
- How can new platforms (social media, digital archives, etc.) support the development of historical thinking?
- How can we assess students’ historical thinking and its development?
- What innovative pedagogical methods exist for teaching history?
You can find full Call for Papers and Sessions here: http://hislit.fi/teho2020en/.
Detailed instructions on how to submit a proposal for a presentation, workshop or panel can be found here: http://hislit.fi/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Submission-Instructions-TEHO2020.pdf
The website also has information about hotels http://hislit.fi/teho2020-accommodation-info/ and about how to arrive at Jyväskylä http://hislit.fi/how-to-get-to-jyvaskyla/
Keynote lectures at the conference will be given by Carla von Boxtel (University of Amsterdam) and Minna-Riitta Luukka (University of Jyväskylä), both leading scholars in their respective fields.
Proposal materials must be submitted by 12.1.2020. Please send all materials to e-mail address email@example.com.