Vacancy: Position of Executive Director
Base location: The Hague, the Netherlands
The European Association of History Educators (EUROCLIO) is an internationally operating NGO.
As an umbrella association, EUROCLIO represents over seventy (70) national history, heritage, and citizenship educators' associations as well as other member organisations; representing altogether over 40,000 historians, history teachers and others in this field in Europe and beyond.
The mission of EUROCLIO is to inspire and empower historians and educators to engage learners in innovative and responsible history and citizenship education. The organization was established in 1992 with the support of the Council of Europe. Since then, EUROCLIO has worked in many European countries and beyond on a variety of projects and issues related to the learning and teaching of history.
The Association is governed by a Board that is democratically elected by its member Associations.
The Executive Director is mandated by the Board with the day-to-day management of the Association, serving its members and preserving the core values of the Association. As such, the Executive Director is responsible for leading and managing the Association as a whole, and running the Secretariat more specifically, in line with the Association’s Strategy and Policies.
- Advanced University degree in a relevant discipline such as history, social science, international studies or equivalent.
- Excellent written and spoken command of English (office language)
- Competence in the use of ICT and social media.
- Five or more years of experience in a management / leadership position, preferably in an (preferably international) not-for-profit organization.
- Proven strong track record in project management / project delivery
- Proven strong track record in securing (project) funding and managing (EU) grants
- A strong personal and professional (international) network
3. Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of history and culture related to (some of) the geographies where EUROCLIO is operating (e.g. Eastern Europe, Balkans, South Caucasus, the Iberian peninsula, etc.).
- Proven skills in areas such as: networking, developing advocacy and lobbying strategies, implementing non-formal education, civil-society initiatives, strong intercultural sensitivity, ability to work under challenging conditions.
- Leading (cultural) change, strengthening the organization and making it ‘future proof’
- Exploring and developing new funding opportunities, subsequently securing ‘non-traditional’ funds
- Leading the Association into the next phase after having established a strong Association over the past 25 years
We offer you a challenging and attractive international leadership position in a sustainable and growing non-government international organization, with considerable potential.
As the position is based in the Netherlands, Dutch terms of employment will apply. The EUROCLIO remuneration package follows the Collective Labour Agreement terms applicable to Dutch Civil Servants and based on the Dutch Civil Servants ARAR Scales.
Applicants are invited to send their letter of motivation and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org – referring in the subject line to “Executive Director EUROCLIO” – latest by the 5th of November 2018.
First round of interviews with shortlisted candidates are planned for 15th to 17th of November 2018 in The Hague, or via Skype with candidates not being based in – or close to – the Netherlands (subsequent interviews will be face to face).
In case of any questions or for further information, please contact Frank van den Akker – Board member of EUROCLIO – at +31(0)6 55685959.
For further background and information about EUROCLIO, please also refer to our EUROCLIO website at euroclio.eu.