The African Association for History Education (AHE-Afrika) announced its second international conference on history education in Africa. This conference will take place in Kampala, Uganda, on 7 and 8 December 2017. It will be co-organized and hosted by the College of Education and External Studies at Makerere University. A call for papers for this conference is now open.
The theme of the event will be “Teaching and Learning History in a Changing Africa: Possibilities and Challenges in the 21st Century”. As the conference aims to cover a wide range of relevant political and practical issues, this call invites submissions for papers, panels and round-table discussions on any aspect of history education in Africa.
The organizers particularly welcome papers that address the following topics:
- History education in colonial and post-colonial societies in Africa
- History education in contemporary multi-cultural societies in Africa
- History education, citizenship, democracy and human rights in Africa
- History education in emergency and post-conflict settings in Africa
- Teaching controversial and sensitive issues in history in Africa
- History education between nationalism and globalisation in Africa
- History education, memory and cultural heritage in Africa
- History education and historical consciousness in Africa
- History in the Social Studies Learning Area in Africa
- The role of language in history education in Africa
While the working language of the conference will be English, French papers with an accompanying English PowerPoint will be welcomed as well. Interested persons can submit abstracts of maximum 300 words, with 3 keywords, and a brief biography of no more than 100 words. Applications should be submitted as a single document, titled with the last and then first name of the applicant. They should be sent, with “History Education in Africa” in the subject line, to Prof. Johan Wassermann at email@example.com, Dr. Denise Bentrovato at firstname.lastname@example.org and Dr. Dorothy Kyagaba Sebbowa at email@example.com.
The deadline for submitting abstracts is 15 May 2017. For all information on the call for papers, please download the PDF below.