Estonia, Latvia: New Ways to the Past
- To select appropriate aims and objectives from the national standards so that they become achievable within the constraints of the hours available for teaching, and in respect of class size, age and ability.
- To develop history education through producing guidance on ways of teaching two different topics. The approaches will blend traditional methods of conveying knowledge about the past with new approaches to history teaching which are designed to promote democratic values and critical thinking.
- To develop a range of assessment techniques for different approaches used in the materials and guidance.
- To produce materials which enable teachers to promote democratic practices, human rights and the rule of law.
- To share good practice in history teaching and to co-operate and exchange ideas with an open mind.
- To strengthen Associations of History Teachers in the relevant countries.
- To support the love of learning history through a multicultural, multi-perspective approach and open horizons to museums and field study activities.