Russia: Uroki Klio
The project focuses on the development of teaching material, its dissemination and implementation by in-service training and History Teachers Associations. The project wanted particularly to strengthen an integration of Russian and world history. The reason for this choice is the shortage of teaching material in this teaching area, especially on Twentieth Century history. Archive material is still not widely available and Western European perspectives are almost unknown. This period is considered as very difficult to teach, considering the numerous controversies.
- To develop curriculum approaches which search for alternative themes and topics and which merge traditional history education, based on knowledge, with innovative approaches, applying skills and attitudes.
- To develop innovative teaching materials for those parts of the history curriculum which particularly relate to the development, acquisition and applications of democratic values and of the techniques of democratic practice.
- To assist in the transfer of technical skills in the teaching of history in schools as an important element in the understanding of democratic practices and the rule of law.
- To co-operate and exchange ideas with an open mind.
- To strengthen Associations of History Teachers which are emerging in Russia